Monday, June 15, 2015

I'm Glad They Called Me On A Mission

     As I read through what I had written about my mental illness story, I realized that what I said about my mission may have come across in a negative way. I want to be very clear that serving a mission was one of the best decisions I have made. I did mention that I did not think I would have served a mission had I known how hard it was going to be, but oh am I so glad that I was blinded from this information before serving. I would not trade my experience as a missionary for anything. I changed and grew in so many positive ways thanks to my mission. I became bilingual! I was able to be an instrument in God's hands to touch lives! I met people that have touched my heart and changed my life forever! I got to live in France for almost 18 months! I made friends from all over the world! I learned that I can do really hard things!
    I did not really realize it at the time, but I struggled with anxiety and depression to some extent before my mission. The intense stress of the mission triggered these things to become worse. I am so grateful that this happened when it did. Had I not served a mission, my anxiety and depression would surely have been triggered by the stress of marriage and raising kids. I am so grateful that these were triggered when they were so I can learn how to manage and cope with them as a single person, before I have a husband and kids to care for. I am thankful that God is control of the timing of events in our lives. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment