Sunday, June 7, 2015

Mental Illness is Beautiful

One year ago I was just starting to realize the good that comes from mental illness. Every day is an uphill battle, but I have seen so many blessings. I have been able to connect with others on a much deeper level because of my experiences with anxiety and depression. In my calling, I am often blessed with the opportunity to listen to girls tell me about their struggles. I have a dear, sweet friend who has anxiety, depression, thyroid problems, iron imbalances, and keratoconus (basically she is losing her sight and needs to have surgery, which she is terrified about). I have another friend who has hashimoto's (thyroid problems), which leads to intense anxiety and stomach pains. Another struggles to feel good enough in the face of seemingly perfect roommates due to her broken family. I am grateful that when they tell me that they struggle with depression or anxiety I can tell them that I understand, and really mean that I know what they are going through because I have been there. Each time I am able to use my experiences to strengthen others is a tender mercy from Heavenly Father. These are moments when I am able to feel like I am being an instrument in God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment